Your current location: Home > News > Blogs > Ultrasonic Tank Level Sensor in Brief

Ultrasonic Tank Level Sensor in Brief

Aug 11 , 2023

Ultrasound is a sound wave with a frequency higher than 20000 Hz..Ultrasonic tank level sensors were just created based on its good directivity and strong reflection ability. It is well known that ulrasonic waves can propagate in gases, liquids and solids, and their propagation speeds are different. In addition, it has refraction and reflection phenomena, and attenuation during propagation. The attenuation is faster in the air, but when it spreads in liquid, the attenuation is smaller and the spread is farther. Utilizing the characteristics of ultrasonic, various ultrasonic sensors come out.


                                  Ultrasonic Tank Level Sensor in Brief


How ultrasonic tank level sensor works

Ultrasonic tank level sensors emit ultrasonic pulses.The sound waves are reflected by the liquid surface and then received by the same sensor or ultrasonic receiver. They are converted into electrical signals by piezoelectric crystals or magnetostrictive devices. The distance from the sensor to the surface of he liquid being measured can be calculated by the time from the emitting of the sound wave to the receipt. They are placed in water to allow ultrasonic waves to propagate in the liquid. Because the ultrasonic attenuation is relatively small in the liquid, it can propagate even if the generated ultrasonic pulse has a small amplitude.

Based on the working principle, ultrasonic tank level sensors have the advantages of high accuracy, long service life, easy installation, continuous measurement in hazardous locations and without being affected by the measured medium. And no matter what kind of medium can be measured, they are widely used to measure water, fuel, oil, wine, corrosive chemcials and etc. Most importantly, the maintenance cost is quite low and the cleaning is simple. But pay attention that if the liquid level fluctuates, there will be greater measurement errors.



Ask an Expert